41And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. 42And they did all eat, and were filled. 43And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes. 44And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men. 45And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people. 46And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.
Mark 6: 41 – 46
by Heather Zuber-Harshman
Jesus traveled a lot, performed many miracles, spoke in temples, confronted Pharisees, was followed by people most places he went, and was a constant mentor for the disciples. He was a busy man with very little time by himself. To help keep him “fresh” in all that he did, Jesus made a habit of going off by himself to pray. The Gospels mention a few times when Jesus does this, which may seem strange since he was the Son of God, but he was also human. He needed time to recharge and refocus.
We also need to stay “fresh” in our lives and relationships to remain energized and keep things interesting. This can be something simple like eating at a different restaurant, trying a new sport, traveling to a new destination, or surprising someone you love with a small present. It’s true that all of this takes time, but it is time that you and those around you will appreciate.
How are you keeping things fresh in your life?
Here are some ideas for this Valentine’s week:
– Add red food coloring and/or sprinkles to Belgian waffles or pancakes
– Search for groups in your area on Meetup.com
– Purchase Daily Guideposts for your quiet time with God
– Search on Yelp.com for new restaurant or activities in your area
– Purchase an Entertainment Coupon Book for restaurant and activity ideas
– Plan a day trip once per month
– Try taking a fitness class or a different class at your gym (I teach three classes at L.A. Fitness and one at 24 Hour Fitness in Escondido – you are invited to join me)
– Stay at a bed and breakfast